Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery (right) with Education CS Fred Matiang’i (centre) and Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang during a press conference at Jogoo House, Nairobi, on March 24, 2016
The Kenya National Examinations Council’s (KNEC) board was dissolved earlier today over the rampant exams leakage witnessed in 2015 national examinations.
Former University of Nairobi Vice Chancellor Prof George Magoha was appointed the board’s chairman, replacing Prof Kabiru Kinyanjui.
According to Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i who made the announcements, the action to disband the KNEC board was taken to restore its lost integrity.
“This decision was reached after a thorough review done by the Ministry of Education with assistance from the Interior Ministry. Parents and teachers should rest assured that the government cares for them,” said the Education CS.
“We found a lot of discrepancies in KNEC, we are here to support the Education Ministry to reduce criminality in KNEC,” said Interior CS Minister Joseph Nkaissery.
The CS Fred Matiang’i and his Interior counterpart Joseph Nkaissery said preliminary investigations had revealed complicity, irregularities and illegitimate activities on a number of fronts within and outside the council.
Major-General (Rtd) Nkaissery ordered the arrest of the council’s top management led by Dr Kivilu, Ms Ambia G. Noor, the senior deputy secretary(examination), Maundu Mantenzawa – deputy secretary (security) and Thomas MacKenzie, the principal examinations secretary.
Others are Ms Sarah Majani who is the senior deputy secretary for reprographics, Bobby Nyagah Mwai (senior deputy secretary), Geoffrey Gitogo, the senior deputy secretary in charge of ICT, Michael Ndua (principal supply chain management officer) and Richard Mwangangi, a deputy secretary.
KNEC has been on the spot over massive leakage during last year’s Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education exams, with fingers pointing at the council’s officers both at the county and head office in Nairobi.
The examination irregularities saw the results of about 2,709 KCPE candidates and 5,100 KCSE candidates cancelled.
“Some of the officers at the council are under investigations over examination printing scam known as chickengate’. Surely we cannot allow the institution such as important as this to be run that way,” said Dr Matiang’i.
The Interior Cabinet Secretary said a security review of the management of the examination had revealed a need for deep reforms in the council.
“We reviewed the planning and execution of the national examinations and we found that there are a lot of discrepancies,” he said.
This comes after Mbooni MP Hon Kisoi Munyao, a member of parliamentary committee on education raised alarm over massive cheating in last year’s national examination perpetrated by KNEC officials and called for disbandment of the board.